The Society was formed in July 1992 after Sir Norman Longley had the idea to preserve the signal box — which had became redundant as a result of signal modernisation in 1986 — and an inaugural meeting was organised by local historian Roger Bastable. The society purchased a lease for the building from Railtrack in the 1990s.

Originally built by the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway, probably in 1877, it is a Grade 2 listed building. As well as containing a lever frame by Saxby & Farmer (No. 2621), it is an excellent example of Victorian brickwork, and is well-known as a landmark. The signal box was Grade II listed in 1983.

The Society publishes a magazine, Signal four times a year. Click here to download a sample copy.

Membership of the society is 15 per year.

Open Days

Open days have been suspended.

The committee has decided to postpone the AGM indefinitely.

The signal box is on the corner of Springfield Road and Brighton Road, Southgate, adjacent to the level crossing.

A list of other signal boxes you can visit can be found in the Links section of the St. Albans South Signal Box website.